Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Correction, Sometimes it hurts.

Correction!  I think that it is safe to say that we all dislike correction, but on the same note we all need correction.  Growing up my mom would correct me on things like sit up straight, don't put your elbows on the table, don't talk with your mouth full and so on.  At the time I was thinking "Aww..mom, I'm fine".  Well now that I am an adult, I know and understand why my mom was correcting me because one she didn't want me to look like an idiot and two because she knew that correcting me was the best thing for me.

Just like our parents correct us as we grow up, God gives us corrections and yes sometimes it does hurt and we don't want to hear it but in the end he knows that it is best for us.  Proverbs 3:12 says "For whom the Lord loves, He reproves, Even as a father corrects the son in whom he delights".  God corrects us because He knows we want to be people who Honor and love him.  To become the man or woman that God wants us to be there is going to be some discomfort and yes, even corrections.   Although in the verse it does say that He corrects and reproves us, there is hope in that verse because just like the verse reminds us the Lord loves us and He delights in us.  Wow, I am so thankful for that relief in the midst of the correction.

One of my favorite verses about correction is Proverbs 12:1 which says, "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates correction is stupid".  Well, isn't that blunt!  I know that in my life I have needed to hear things so bluntly like that.  God knows that we all need correction and help becoming the man or the woman that He wants us to be, but sometimes we need verses such as Proverbs 12:1 that just state it so bluntly and honestly.

Just like our parents correct us because they love us, God corrects us because He loves us too!

1 comment:

  1. And now you'll have a fresh perspective on this as a mom yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete